Brown lentil rainbow salad is a complete meal. And it is true to its name, as it is full of colour and flavour. Simple and quick to make. It is one of my favourite summer meals.
Brown lentil rainbow salad for one or many
The ingredients listed for the salad can be multiplied accordingly.
For example, if you are making the salad as a meal for two, then double the ingredients.
Ingredients for one
- 1 to 1.5 cups of rocket
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils (1/2 cup dried lentils)
- 1 small to medium carrot grated
- 1/4 of a large beetroot grated
- 1 medium tomato chopped into 1 cm cubes or 8 cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons of washed and chopped herbs (dill and continental parsley work well)
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1/2 tablespoon currants
Optional ingredients: 20g goats feta and 1/4 avocado
Dressing: 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- Prepare the brown lentils. If you are cooking dried lentils, then allow 40 minutes for them to cook. Add the lentils to boiling water and simmer until cooked. The lentils may be added warm to the salad, or you can cool them first. Once the steam has stopped rising, place the lentils in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- Wash rocket and spin dry in a salad spinner, alternatively let the rocket drain in a colander.
- Wash and grate the carrot and beetroot.
- Wash and prepare the tomato.
- Rinse and dry herbs and chop coarsely.
- Chop the walnuts.
- Add all of the ingredients to a serving bowl, and mix lightly.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the top and mix
Nutritional profile per serve
The brown lentil rainbow salad provides:
- 3 to 4 serves of vegetables
- 1 serve of lentils (as a protein serve – also provides iron and other minerals, as well as soluble fibre)
- 1 serve of nuts
- 1 to 2 serves of oil
- 1/2 serve dairy (optional)
The salad is high in fibre and phytonutrients, as well as a range of vitamins and minerals. It is an ideal summer meal to prepare for yourself if you are eating alone, or you can prepare enough for the family. I often make this salad for lunch. It can be prepared ahead and kept cool in the refrigerator or in an iced cool bag.